Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now you fire everyone associated with the program.

I mean, none of these tweets actually says that anyone did anything wrong, but that's a really sh**** thing to say about the football program. Even if our football team was cheating, there's no way some money guy there would be talking about it with a basketball coach. So it sounds like he's talking out of his ass and bemoaning the lack of support for the basketball program in a way that's very derogative towards football, and to me, that alone is worth a firing.
I read that Smith's contract is up next week, so it's possible that no firings will be necessary.
(04-25-2019, 06:27 PM)Nevermore Wrote: I mean, none of these tweets actually says that anyone did anything wrong.

The tweets are a summary of an assistant basketball coach sitting in a hotel suite with an agent / runner and a financial advisor, discussing the merits of why they should give the assistant coach money so that he can funnel it to a specific player (Zion Williamson).  Along the way, the assistant coach discusses the numerous instances of breaking the contact rules (meeting at the prospects home for more than their one designated in-home visit, and doing it so often he knows the exact time of the route) and jokes about how he had to make up a few wrong turns along the way, during his trip with Brownell.  And it is all on video, as taped by an undercover FBI agent.

In a world in which any one cared about the rules, Smith did enough for a "show cause" ban in that one sequence.

And Smith is the single longest tenured assistant coach, on a staff that is best characterized as embattled.  Take the gift of a means to fire your head coach for cause (not knowing that your assistant coach is trying to buy a player is at best failure to monitor) - not to mention a wave of public sentiment in your favor, due to the shot at the football program - and move on.

Because if you thought the optics of firing a head coach after a year in which the team played off-campus was bad, let me paint you a picture: The team's performance craters next year, because we had absolutely no bench production this year and freshmen under Brownell tend to underperform (even when the expectations are modest). After 10 years of seasons that never build upon another, we decide to make a change. How many stories put some version of the following in the lede: "You were more than willing to stand behind a coach that who staff was on film cheating their asses off, as long as they were winning. Now, we see where your priorities lie."
(04-26-2019, 04:43 PM)Huckittome Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 06:27 PM)Nevermore Wrote: I mean, none of these tweets actually says that anyone did anything wrong.

The tweets are a summary of an assistant basketball coach sitting in a hotel suite with an agent / runner and a financial advisor, discussing the merits of why they should give the assistant coach money so that he can funnel it to a specific player (Zion Williamson).  Along the way, the assistant coach discusses the numerous instances of breaking the contact rules (meeting at the prospects home for more than their one designated in-home visit, and doing it so often he knows the exact time of the route) and jokes about how he had to make up a few wrong turns along the way, during his trip with Brownell.  And it is all on video, as taped by an undercover FBI agent.

In a world in which any one cared about the rules, Smith did enough for a "show cause" ban in that one sequence.

And Smith is the single longest tenured assistant coach, on a staff that is best characterized as embattled.  Take the gift of a means to fire your head coach for cause (not knowing that your assistant coach is trying to buy a player is at best failure to monitor) - not to mention a wave of public sentiment in your favor, due to the shot at the football program - and move on.

Because if you thought the optics of firing a head coach after a year in which the team played off-campus was bad, let me paint you a picture:  The team's performance craters next year, because we had absolutely no bench production this year and freshmen under Brownell tend to underperform (even when the expectations are modest).   After 10 years of seasons that never build upon another, we decide to make a change.  How many stories put some version of the following in the lede: "You were more than willing to stand behind a coach that who staff was on film cheating their asses off, as long as they were winning.  Now, we see where your priorities lie."

Eh... people who really want to see Brownell gone are using this to further their cause.  It seems pretty obvious that he is not going anywhere before next season and it's not totally clear that he will be going anywhere after next season either.  If he can just limit any more defections, his roster in two seasons has the potential to be pretty good. 

I think a better question in this entire matter is the one staring us right in the face:  If you are not willing to cheat in college basketball, is it even possible to field a consistently good team?  Seems clear from the quotes that Smith is doing something he knows Brownell wouldn't advocate.  If we won't play the game and everyone else of significance does, what do we do to make ourselves competitive?  
(04-26-2019, 09:54 PM)ccolon Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 04:43 PM)Huckittome Wrote:

Because if you thought the optics of firing a head coach after a year in which the team played off-campus was bad, let me paint you a picture:  The team's performance craters next year, because we had absolutely no bench production this year and freshmen under Brownell tend to underperform (even when the expectations are modest).   After 10 years of seasons that never build upon another, we decide to make a change.  How many stories put some version of the following in the lede: "You were more than willing to stand behind a coach that who staff was on film cheating their asses off, as long as they were winning.  Now, we see where your priorities lie."

Eh... people who really want to see Brownell gone are using this to further their cause.  It seems pretty obvious that he is not going anywhere before next season and it's not totally clear that he will be going anywhere after next season either.  If he can just limit any more defections, his roster in two seasons has the potential to be pretty good. 

I think a better question in this entire matter is the one staring us right in the face:  If you are not willing to cheat in college basketball, is it even possible to field a consistently good team?  Seems clear from the quotes that Smith is doing something he knows Brownell wouldn't advocate.  If we won't play the game and everyone else of significance does, what do we do to make ourselves competitive?  

For me, if the world of hoops requires accepting what we're seeing ignored by the NCAA...then it's not a sport I care about any longer.  I don't watch the NBA...and that culture has clearly trickled down (actually, the dam has broken) to the collegiate level.  It's beyond comprehension how the 'culture' across three distinct sports can be so markedly different.  That said, on the whole, strength is measured by the weakest link...so I'm decidedly glum about the future of collegiate athletics.  May it survive another ten years.  I am not optimistic...(but it does take Dabo to the end of his..should he decide).  
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."