Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep him
Whether or not you want Brownell to remain our coach, I think the wisest course of action is to keep him around. I read that his buyout is currently $1.3 million, and after next season, it'll be $500 thousand. Due to the roster, next year is going to be terrible regardless of who is coaching. The smart thing to do would be to tough it out and save that $800k. Then we can offer our next coach an extra $200k per year over a 4-year contract. That could make a significant difference in who we're able to attract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nevermore's post:
  • PawsFan
Next season will be interesting for sure. I have been trying to decide what would constitute a 'success' next year. I'm leaning toward saying anything above .500 with that roster would be a pretty good accomplishment.
I gave up my season tickets 3 years ago. While charging a surcharge to your season ticket holders when you are running discounts for literally every game in which the opponent isn't North Carolina or Duke was the final straw, it was the culmination of disillusion with the direction of the program coupled with the complete lack of vision / understanding with regards to their basketball fan base through the construction project. Tossing away local fans (fans within the 30 to 45 minute driving circle) as though they were easily replaceable demonstrated a next level ignorance to me - especially if you were adamant on keeping a coach who is best characterized as embattled. The sea of empty seats that accompanies any game that requires the fan base to inconvenience themselves to attend is at least as much of a visual representation of our re-seating efforts, as it is a referendum on our coaching staff.

Regardless, I've never thought Brownell was on the hot seat this season. His Sweet 16 appearance is less than a year old, and simply being on the bubble to the end of the season will be spun as a slight underachievement. In order to actually be fired, he would have had to crater the entire program this year - and that wasn't going to happen with four (4) 5th-year seniors. The only real question is whether the powers that be will feel the need to extend his contract again - as it only has 4 years remaining on it.

And I'll be honest, the timeline and leaks from the athletic department regarding some of the decision making during Radakovich's baseball coaching search (which, while a bigger deal locally, doesn't face anywhere near the level of scrutiny nationally - due to the niche market for college baseball) doesn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat for a higher profile, repeat performance. Given the length of contracts Radakovich has given out at both Clemson and GaTech, it doesn't appear as though he's all that fond of the process either.
Does it matter who the coach is anymore? Clemson is a .500 program most years. We are an NIT caliber program. No b-ball coach worth a dang will risk his career coming to Clemson. And if you luck out and get a good one, he'll be out of Clemson as soon as a blue blood program comes calling.

The basketball program at Clemson exists to entertain us from about Jan 10th to March 1st. As soon as baseball starts, are focus is on the diamond. It's just a crying shame we can't use our basketball scholarships for baseball.
Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. - Ricky Bobby

Until the larger universe of college hoops is cleaned up...really, really cleaned up, I simply don't care. It's not a level playing field...more like a mogul slope, at best. I love college ball, but despise the environment. It speaks to the inconsistency that is the NCAA and, worse, it defines the programs themselves and their acceptance of the seediness. It's a 'Pogo' thing.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
[-] The following 2 users Like Salty's post:
  • PawsFan, tony33
Yeah its sad that everyone knows there rampant cheating but everyone ignores it. UNC B Ball should have been hit HARD by the NCAA. LSU should fry.

What the NCAA needs to do is require all freshman b-ball players to redshirt and maintain academic eligibility during the freshman year before they can play as sophomores. This will end the one and done and get back to the student athlete type players and get rid of the guys who are just "ballers." NCAA needs to hammer some coaches and schools. There's no incentive right now not to cheat. The NCAA doesn't have to have the burden of proof. This isn't a court of law. if a reasonable man sees there's likely cheating going on, hammer them. The message will get out.
Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. - Ricky Bobby

(03-16-2019, 12:13 PM)PawsFan Wrote: Yeah its sad that everyone knows there rampant cheating but everyone ignores it.  UNC B Ball should have been hit HARD by the NCAA. LSU should fry.  

What the NCAA needs to do is require all freshman b-ball players to redshirt and maintain academic eligibility during the freshman year before they can play as sophomores.  This will end the one and done and get back to the student athlete type players and get rid of the guys who are just "ballers."  NCAA needs to hammer some coaches and schools.  There's no incentive right now not to cheat.  The NCAA doesn't have to have the burden of proof.  This isn't a court of law.  if a reasonable man sees there's likely cheating going on, hammer them.  The message will get out.

I actually like the baseball route.  If you're Zion-esque, have at it.  Otherwise, hit the books and the hard court and work on both as a real student-athlete.  Are the 'one and done' types really even applying themselves academically?  Do the schools with those players really care if they'd qualify for admission since they probably won't even finish the spring semester?
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
(03-20-2019, 11:45 AM)Salty Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 12:13 PM)PawsFan Wrote: Yeah its sad that everyone knows there rampant cheating but everyone ignores it.  UNC B Ball should have been hit HARD by the NCAA. LSU should fry.  

What the NCAA needs to do is require all freshman b-ball players to redshirt and maintain academic eligibility during the freshman year before they can play as sophomores.  This will end the one and done and get back to the student athlete type players and get rid of the guys who are just "ballers."  NCAA needs to hammer some coaches and schools.  There's no incentive right now not to cheat.  The NCAA doesn't have to have the burden of proof.  This isn't a court of law.  if a reasonable man sees there's likely cheating going on, hammer them.  The message will get out.

I actually like the baseball route.  If you're Zion-esque, have at it.  Otherwise, hit the books and the hard court and work on both as a real student-athlete.  Are the 'one and done' types really even applying themselves academically?  Do the schools with those players really care if they'd qualify for admission since they probably won't even finish the spring semester?

I'm betting Zion has attended about as many Duke classes as I have this year.

[-] The following 1 user Likes PawsFan's post:
  • Salty
IMO you keep Brownell unless you are going to spend on a big name, known commodity. I actually like that he keeps his nose clean. So unless we spend $3 million or more on a guy like Rick Barnes (I don't want Rick Barnes, his name just popped in my head) then we are foolish tonget rid.of Brownell.