Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rules: Agents, NBA Draft, Official Visits, and More
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24320401/ncaa-announces-new-college-basketball-policy-including-agents-players-longer-postseason-bans

I'll try to summarize...

-Players can now remain in the NBA draft pool and if undrafted, can return to school.
-Players can hire an NCAA-approved agent during the offseason.
-The NCAA will make certification more difficult for high school basketball tournaments.
-The NCAA will be harsher with punishment for coaches and schools who break the rules.
-Prospects get 15 official visits now: 5 during their junior year, 5 during their senior year, and 5 more thereafter.
-Schools now can host 28 official visitors per 2 years.
-Schools now must give scholarships to players who spend at least 2 years in the program, leave, and then return to complete their degrees.
-Coaches must report all of their income received to the NCAA, including endorsements from apparel companies.

Seems like it's going to create a lot of headaches for coaches and administrations.
(08-08-2018, 02:14 PM)Nevermore Wrote: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24320401/ncaa-announces-new-college-basketball-policy-including-agents-players-longer-postseason-bans

I'll try to summarize...

-Players can now remain in the NBA draft pool and if undrafted, can return to school.
-Players can hire an NCAA-approved agent during the offseason.
-The NCAA will make certification more difficult for high school basketball tournaments.
-The NCAA will be harsher with punishment for coaches and schools who break the rules.
-Prospects get 15 official visits now: 5 during their junior year, 5 during their senior year, and 5 more thereafter.
-Schools now can host 28 official visitors per 2 years.
-Schools now must give scholarships to players who spend at least 2 years in the program, leave, and then return to complete their degrees.
-Coaches must report all of their income received to the NCAA, including endorsements from apparel companies.

Seems like it's going to create a lot of headaches for coaches and administrations.

i'm no expert on this by any means, xm radio today was saying the AAU camps/advisers/sponsors/ et al ... are in a panic over this ... if so, i suppose their money trail is about to dry up ...
"I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big." ... Donald Trump

Yeah, that's the idea. They SHOULD be worried. Hopefully some of these reforms manage to actually reduce the amount of sleeze in high school basketball.
I think this is good for the sport. At least the college version, anyhow.