Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ohio state
urban meyer is probably done ... discuss replacement options and the fallout on the college world ... i found it interesting it took espn 4 hours to post anything once it was out ...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24259780/urban-meyer-ohio-state-buckeyes-coaching-scandal

cookie
"I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big." ... Donald Trump

Can't imagine them keeping him...not in today's environment....
Sounds to me like Urban says he's always DONE the right thing, but said the wrong thing the other day...
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I actually don't think they should get rid of Urban Meyer for this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HughRichardCranium's post:
  • cugrad90
(08-06-2018, 10:05 AM)HughRichardCranium Wrote: I feel like I'm in the minority, but I actually don't think they should get rid of Urban Meyer for this.
It looks to me like he's only guilty of giving a poor response to a question from the media.

If he had said, "That matter has been investigated by the police and no charges were filed," I think that would have been sufficient.

Could he have fired the guy based on "his wife told my wife?"  I'll bet he could have gotten sued for that.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes cugrad90's post:
  • HughRichardCranium
I could be misunderstanding, but have seen several times that Ohio law required Meyer (and his wife) to report abuse if aware of it. Not sure if he did that or not, or how it effects his employment, but have seen several times that Meyer "broke the law" by not reporting alleged abuse....
(08-06-2018, 11:34 AM)Marty Coleman Wrote: I could be misunderstanding, but have seen several times that Ohio law required Meyer (and his wife) to report abuse if aware of it.  Not sure if he did that or not, or how it effects his employment, but have seen several times that Meyer "broke the law" by not reporting alleged abuse....

How is reporting 'alleged' a law?  If one's 'allegation' proves wrong, doesn't it become defamation/slander/libel?
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Salty's post:
  • HughRichardCranium
I don't know the specific wording of the law. My apologies.
(08-06-2018, 01:17 PM)Marty Coleman Wrote: I don't know the specific wording of the law. My apologies.

I think what you have in mind is Title IX requirements for reporting abuse or misconduct.  But the reports I have read all indicate that police were involved and investigated the claims.  I just don't get what responsibility Urban had if the cops concluded there was no chargeable offense.  "My wife said his wife said" is pretty thin ice for terminating someone.
"Ohio State reminded employees of their duties to report crimes on campus this week, as experts weighed in on whether football coach Urban Meyer potentially violated federal Title IX statutes."

If the "experts" don't know, I sure don't. Smile  

"Meyer's contract extension in April included language that required him to report any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy. That would include domestic violence by a staff member, like Smith, even if no charges were filed. On Wednesday, cleveland.com reported that likely meant Meyer may have violated Title IX."

Hilarious..."likely may have violated" - either he likely did or he may have....not the same thing...
Seems like a lot of CYA language covered in thin ice.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
well... i guess he lived another 3 or so weeks ... more will come out of this ...
"I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big." ... Donald Trump

It was, what, an eleven hour meeting? The president wanted Urban suspended (at a minimum?)...the BOT wanted him put back to work...the president was threatening to resign. The president's resignation, leaving Urban in his position, would have been PR-mageddon for tOSU. So, what were all those hours used for.

The AD is culpable, yet his punishment is strangely unmentioned. The school can't afford the president's exit, per PR, at a minimum. There is no 'coach in waiting' to replace Urban...yet. Someone had to be punished to an extent...yet Urban, apparently, was resisting wholly.

So, in my view, many of those hours were spent 'constructing' a present need...and a roadmap for the not too distant future. How quickly this episode fades from scrutiny will be telling...particularly for Urban, but the AD as well. Both will ultimately be leaving the program, is my guess, but the president's 'acquiescence' was to give the BOT/AD/Urban...and himself, ultimately, time to comb the landscape for the right hires...morals...ethics...change of culture. None felt it could be done a week or so before the season kicks off.

Remember this: "The report also mentions that Meyer periodically takes medicine that “can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus.” Investigators also observed that Meyer “sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events.” The report suggests some of Meyer’s answers during Big Ten media day reflected not ill-intent but rather blameless health conditions. In any lawsuit over a firing, Meyer’s attorneys would have argued that the university admits medication impacts Meyer’s focus and concentration and thus perhaps played an exonerating role in his missteps. Both federal and state laws provide protections for employees with health conditions and who use medication."

So, of course, waiting several weeks allows Urban time to 'realize' his health is paramount. (Sounds like a sequel)
well ... urban survived the scandal ... not sure how much longer he can survive after that ass whippin ...

I would say they played better during his suspension...
[-] The following 1 user Likes HughRichardCranium's post:
  • CookF16
I remain convince his health will have him stepping down. His ego wouldn't let him chance not winning a Natty...but that's out the window now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Salty's post:
  • CookF16