#10 - Parker Fox (FR)^
#14 - Elijah Thomas (SR)
#15 - John Newman III (FR)
#20 - Malik William (SO)
#21 - AJ Oliver II (rSO)
#25 - Aamir Simms (SO)
#35 - Javan White (JR)
#55 - Trey Jemison (FR)

*Ineligible for 2018-19 due to transfer rules.

Should be a special group.
Should be a top 25 caliber team but someone is going to have to step up as a sub for spelling Reed and Mitchell.   Trapp, Oliver and Newman sure have a golden opportunity.  Anyone want to guess/predict the minutes distribution for the guards?  
Here is a question I've been thinking about... is that roster better on paper than the roster we had going into last season? I mean without the benefit of hindsight. I find it hard to evaluate b/c at this time last year, nobody knew DeVoe would actually become a scoring machine as a senior. And while everyone knew that Grantham had potential, it would have been hard to predict that he would put it all together the way he did and even harder to predict that he would then get injured.

When I think about last year's roster, the first thing that jumps out at me is how we had more depth of experience. We had Reed, Mitchell and DeVoe, who had all played a bunch of minutes at guard, then we had Thomas, Grantham, and Donnal, with Skara becoming eligible in December so that's seven guys who had really good experience.

This year, we can only really make that claim about 5 players- Reed, Mitchell, Thomas, Simms and White. So we will be depending much more on relative newcomers in supporting roles and it currently looks like someone with very little experience (Oliver or Newman perhaps) will be counted on to start.

So, if you can try to remember how you felt about our team BEFORE last season started, would you rather have that roster or the current one?

I ask this mainly b/c I have seen some Clemson fans saying that we are a fringe top 15 team and I'm not totally sure I buy that.
I'd take this team because you have 4 guys coming back from a team that made it to the sweet 16.  
(06-02-2018, 07:13 PM)tony33 Wrote: I'd take this team because you have 4 guys coming back from a team that made it to the sweet 16.  

I agree that's worth something.  It's a lot easier for these guys to buy into what the staff says b/c they aren't coming off six straight years of no NCAA tourney like last year's team. 

To me, this is going to be the real test of the notion that 'recruiting has improved in recent years.'  There are some kids on this roster that had some decent offers (moreso than some previous seasons) who haven't played much yet.  If we are truly recruiting a higher level of player here recently, then some combination of Trapp, Oliver, Newman, William and Jemison should give us some solid bench minutes.  I'm not expecting all of them to be good this year but two or three of them should take a step forward and be contributors if the notion of improved overall recruiting holds water.  
(06-01-2018, 10:37 AM)TouchTheRock Wrote: #0 - Clyde Trapp (SO)
#2 - Marcquise Reed (rSR)
#3 - Lyles Davis (SR)
#4 - Shelton Mitchell (rSR)
#11 - Isaac Fields (JR)
#14 - Elijah Thomas (SR)
#20 - Malik William (SO)
#21 - AJ Oliver (rSO)
#25 - Aamir Simms (SO)

John Newman (FR)
Hunter Tyson (FR)
Trey Jemison (FR)
Javan White (JR)
Jonathan Baehre (Ineligible) (JR)

Should be a special group.

Sounds like Skara might be coming back.  Is that a done deal?  That should really help, if true.  
For what it's worth, here is what I have been told by someone in a position to know, regarding the upcoming team.

First, though not a done deal, it does look like Skara will be coming back (this has been noted on Tiger Illustrated). The reason is that no Euro team was willing to sign Skara to a contract- he simply couldn't get picked up. Despite his offensive limitations, it's obviously huge for us to get back a defensive stopper who can guard at least three positions.

It seems that Newman is most likely to start at the 3. The feeling is that Oliver is still a year away from being starter material, though obviously he will play a lot. The person I spoke with also said that Skara could start at the 3 in certain situations- either way, starter or off the bench, he will obviously play a lot.

Also was told that Trapp is limited by an inability to score the ball. They think Malik William might work his way into the rotation, having improved a good bit. Finally, the staff is very high on Jemison and thinks he can be a real player in a couple of years if he is willing to put in the work.

Nothing earth-shattering there- I just thought I would share what I picked up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ccolon's post:
  • tony33
It's now confirmed by multiple sources that Skara will return to Clemson. Original post will be updated to include him in next year's roster. Many in the fan base will say "so what?" because of the fact that he doesn't put up sexy offensive numbers, but go watch the second half of the Duke game from last year (the defensive job he did on Grayson Allen, who had scored 15+ first half points) and you'll see exactly what value he brings to this team (spoiler: Allen didn't score in the second half until it was time for garbage time free throws).
(06-26-2018, 10:17 AM)ccolon Wrote: For what it's worth, here is what I have been told by someone in a position to know, regarding the upcoming team.

First, though not a done deal, it does look like Skara will be coming back (this has been noted on Tiger Illustrated).  The reason is that no Euro team was willing to sign Skara to a contract- he simply couldn't get picked up.  Despite his offensive limitations, it's obviously huge for us to get back a defensive stopper who can guard at least three positions.  

It seems that Newman is most likely to start at the 3.  The feeling is that Oliver is still a year away from being starter material, though obviously he will play a lot.  The person I spoke with also said that Skara could start at the 3 in certain situations- either way, starter or off the bench, he will obviously play a lot.

Also was told that Trapp is limited by an inability to score the ball.  They think Malik William might work his way into the rotation, having improved a good bit.  Finally, the staff is very high on Jemison and thinks he can be a real player in a couple of years if he is willing to put in the work.  

Nothing earth-shattering there- I just thought I would share what I picked up.

That roster got a lot more flexible with Skara back in the picture.  Skara takes pressure off everyone concerning the 3 even if he needs work on the offensive end.  He had some decent moments on offense last year and improved over the season.  He should be All-ACC on defense.  Watching some film of Newman, I could see him being ready for minutes right away. 
Updated original post to include the new freshmen numbers. We also lost Isaac Fields and will replace him with preferred walk-on Parker Fox from Watkinsville, GA by way of Reno, NV. Skara has run into paperwork issues with the NCAA and is not listed on Clemson's official roster on the official Clemson website. However, I expect that to change as we get closer to the season.