Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Spencer To Transfer
Brad Brownell announced to members of the media this afternoon that rising junior wing Scott Spencer will transfer from Clemson, leaving Clemson with two open scholarships for 2018-19. Spencer was a high school teammate of rising sophomore Aamir Simms.
Too bad, seems like a good kid. He just never got it going, what with his injury. Hopefully after a redshirt season he'll do well elsewhere. Good luck to him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nevermore's post:
  • tony33
So the big question is, will his departure lead to another high school signee during the Spring period or will we look for a transfer? Anyone care to speculate what position would be most coveted or needed if we go the transfer route?
(04-05-2018, 08:34 PM)ccolon Wrote: So the big question is, will his departure lead to another high school signee during the Spring period or will we look for a transfer?  Anyone care to speculate what position would be most coveted or needed if we go the transfer route?

Guessing the most coveted would be a good ball handler that plays the 3 and some 2.  
Yeah I think we were going to try to get a transfer either way. Honestly our depth next season isn't going to change much without Spencer. The question is more about what happens when Reed, Mitchell, and Thomas graduate. So I think we just take the best transfer we can get this year, and maybe try to find a high schooler who will fill a position of need when he's a sophomore and the other guys are gone.
I think the coaching staff is going to have some tough decisions to make over the next few months. If you knew what the Mitchell and Reed were going to do, it would be a lot easier. There continues to be a good bit of smoke that Mitchell might take his knees and go to Europe and I can't say I would blame him.

If you knew Mitchell were leaving, then it would be best to find a grad transfer PG if a decent one is available- to help with depth and give Trapp another year to develop without having to be the main guy there. But if you get a PG and Mitchell stays, I think you'd prefer to give the backup minutes to Trapp to help his development. That would leave you with a potential locker room problem, with a disgruntled grad transfer.

If neither guard leaves early, then you have five guys to play the 1 through 3 positions (Reed, Mitchell, Trapp, Oliver, Newman) with a good mix of experience and young players to develop. In that case, do you really want to bring in another 2/3?

To me, the most obvious immediate need is a player who can backup Thomas and give us 15 mpg. Maybe a heavy-set 6'8 or 6'9 kid (think Devin Booker build) who played at a smaller school and would like to try playing in the ACC for a year- someone who can rebound and play defense.

Right now it seems to me like a big concern is just the class imbalance and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. Clemson's best teams under Brownell have been veteran teams but we are looking at a situation, two seasons from now, where we have sophomores and juniors.
Probably the best decision for him. I think his injury allowed too many guys to push past him in the depth chart. In the opportunities he had, he just didn't do enough to make me feel comfortable with him moving forward. Oliver showed a lot more in similarly limited minutes.