Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next season's roster
(04-07-2018, 02:27 PM)ccolon Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 01:45 PM)tony33 Wrote: You probably already heard, but it sounds like a Maryland guard is a serious possibility.  Hope that doesn't mean they already know Reed or Mitchell are leaving.  
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/29/justin-jackson-maryland-forward-declares-for-nba-d/

I haven't heard of Wiley till now.  Not sure he looks like a replacement for either Reed or Mitchell.  I would like to think Clemson can aim higher than this young man to be honest.  A 4th year junior who scores 5.8 per game and has more turnovers than assists is not really what we should be looking for, imo.  

As a side note, has anyone found a comprehensive transfer list for this year?  I have failed in my attempts to find one.  

Have you seen this list? 
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/Melvin%20Morgan
I know there's HUGE positives and HUGE negatives to this name, but I'm curious to see what schools pop up (and if we're included) on Jalek Felton's list. He wouldn't be able to play next year, but he'd be a quality depth piece for 2019-20, if the staff is willing to take the rumor mill (and any baggage from rumors that are true) that comes with him.
I'd like to see us go after Malik Moore from USC Upstate (assuming he's a grad transfer). I think he could really help us down the road. Saw him up close when I worked there, and he can play at a higher level than the Atlantic Sun.
I agree with almost all of what TTR has said in here, except for one thing. I know there are two 2019 guys we are trying to get to reclassify to 2018 (Trey McGowens and Christian Brown). I am not sure that we will succeed, but I know they have been working that angle. We are also looking at the grad transfer route too,.
[-] The following 1 user Likes crope1's post:
  • TouchTheRock
(04-09-2018, 10:52 AM)crope1 Wrote: I agree with almost all of what TTR has said in here, except for one thing. I know there are two 2019 guys we are trying to get to reclassify to 2018 (Trey McGowens and Christian Brown). I am not sure that we will succeed, but I know they have been working that angle. We are also looking at the grad transfer route too,.

Good to know...thought they had cooled on that front. I feel like if either were going to reclassify, we'd know by now.
(04-09-2018, 12:01 PM)TouchTheRock Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 10:52 AM)crope1 Wrote: I agree with almost all of what TTR has said in here, except for one thing. I know there are two 2019 guys we are trying to get to reclassify to 2018 (Trey McGowens and Christian Brown). I am not sure that we will succeed, but I know they have been working that angle. We are also looking at the grad transfer route too,.

Good to know...thought they had cooled on that front.  I feel like if either were going to reclassify, we'd know by now.

I agree it is unlikely at this point, but I do not think they have given up on it completely. I think most likely TM could be influenced with Reed or Mitchell leaving. him being post grad,it would be easy for him to do it.
Can someone remind me what is the date that these underclassmen have to make their decision and pull out of the draft? TIA
June 11, I believe...10 days before the draft
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
TTR, since you mentioned familiarity with the USC-Upstate program, what's your opinion of Mike Cunningham? (For the rest of us- He's a grad transfer guard who averaged over 13 ppg the past two seasons there.) TIA
Pretty good player who improved tremendously over his first few years on the offensive end. A bit undersized, and it shows on defense (could use a few more lbs). As a freshman, he was limited on minutes...played behind some good players. He's taking visits to Tulane, Oklahoma and Louisville. He was a scoring point guard because they might have been the worst Division I team last year (he was forced to score), but naturally, I get the feeling that isn't his first instinct...wouldn't be big enough to play shooting guard in the ACC.
(04-10-2018, 08:25 AM)TouchTheRock Wrote: Pretty good player who improved tremendously over his first few years on the offensive end.  A bit undersized, and it shows on defense (could use a few more lbs).  As a freshman, he was limited on minutes...played behind some good players.  He's taking visits to Tulane, Oklahoma and Louisville.  He was a scoring point guard because they might have been the worst Division I team last year (he was forced to score), but naturally, I get the feeling that isn't his first instinct...wouldn't be big enough to play shooting guard in the ACC.

So it sounds like Clemson is not involved?  When I think about the type of combo guard grad transfer Clemson could reasonably get, this is the type of player that comes to mind.  

I just don't see how we are going to get a high level grad transfer at the 1 or 2 spots as long as we don't have clarity on Mitchell/Reed.  It's hard for me to believe that anybody really good will be willing to come for one year and potentially play backup behind those two.  And the flipside here is that, by the time we know something about those two, the best replacements may already be gone.

It's easier for me to believe they could sell somebody on coming in and competing for DeVoe's spot at the 3 but if we don't want 3-guard lineups, it seems like that is not as likely either.  

It's going to be interesting to see how the staff manages this.  
(04-10-2018, 09:19 AM)ccolon Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 08:25 AM)TouchTheRock Wrote: Pretty good player who improved tremendously over his first few years on the offensive end.  A bit undersized, and it shows on defense (could use a few more lbs).  As a freshman, he was limited on minutes...played behind some good players.  He's taking visits to Tulane, Oklahoma and Louisville.  He was a scoring point guard because they might have been the worst Division I team last year (he was forced to score), but naturally, I get the feeling that isn't his first instinct...wouldn't be big enough to play shooting guard in the ACC.

So it sounds like Clemson is not involved?  When I think about the type of combo guard grad transfer Clemson could reasonably get, this is the type of player that comes to mind.  

I just don't see how we are going to get a high level grad transfer at the 1 or 2 spots as long as we don't have clarity on Mitchell/Reed.  It's hard for me to believe that anybody really good will be willing to come for one year and potentially play backup behind those two.  And the flipside here is that, by the time we know something about those two, the best replacements may already be gone.

It's easier for me to believe they could sell somebody on coming in and competing for DeVoe's spot at the 3 but if we don't want 3-guard lineups, it seems like that is not as likely either.  

It's going to be interesting to see how the staff manages this.  

And there's the problem that every college coach in America despises about the current draft process. They like the flexibility for the kids (to allow them to get feedback directly from teams and from the combine), but they hate it for their programs, due to the state of limbo that every team is in as a result. The good news is that nearly every other big conference program faces the same issues...so it's not like we're behind the 8-ball in the transfer market compared to other schools with prospects in the draft. I'm also positive that there are constant conversations being had about that with Mitchell and Reed if there's any indication that either of them are serious about turning professional.
Well...I hope Skara isn't making connections in Europe for Mitchell and Reed.... frusty
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
(04-11-2018, 03:07 PM)Salty Wrote: Well...I hope Skara isn't making connections in Europe for Mitchell and Reed.... frusty

Skara is a bit of a different situation - he has citizenship in a European country and a European passport, and as such, he has a lot more value than an American in the same situation (he's not subject to the cap).

But this is part of the downside to the transfer market for undergrads: the redshirt senior season will always be in question, either due to graduate transfer or simply moving on.
(04-11-2018, 03:07 PM)Salty Wrote: Well...I hope Skara isn't making connections in Europe for Mitchell and Reed.... frusty

Yikes, I gotta admit I.... didn't see that one coming.  
Well, this sucks.
The only good news now is that we know we don't have to hold his scholarship in hopes that he'll come back, which means we can start recruiting the transfer market aggressively, with reassurance to those players that there's at least two spots open at Clemson (the scholarship we held for Zion Williamson and Skara's scholarship).
[-] The following 1 user Likes TouchTheRock's post:
  • crope1
(04-12-2018, 09:38 AM)TouchTheRock Wrote: The only good news now is that we know we don't have to hold his scholarship in hopes that he'll come back, which means we can start recruiting the transfer market aggressively, with reassurance to those players that there's at least two spots open at Clemson (the scholarship we held for Zion Williamson and Skara's scholarship).

Would it be 3 since Spencer is transferring?
(04-12-2018, 10:17 AM)tony33 Wrote: Would it be 3 since Spencer is transferring?

By my count we have seven scholarship players returning (including Mitchell and Reed) along with 3 signees.  So yes, we have as many as 3 spots available now, if I am not mistaken. 

As TTR points out, this is good in the sense that we have more flexibility in the free agen... oops... I mean the transfer market.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes ccolon's post:
  • Salty
I stand corrected on the spots (hadn't remembered Spencer). Nonetheless, my point remains. Should be an interesting couple of months ahead.