Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like Izzo’s Days are numbered...
and it’s not a very high number... maybe Dantonio , too..
It's crazy stuff there. I was watching some of the coverage on Outside the Lines and SportsCenter. Apparently MSU was already being monitored for a failure to communicate abuses to the proper authorities, and then they went and did it again with the complaints about Larry Nassar.

Jay Bilas was saying on OTL that the NCAA shouldn't get involved in this, because it's not really an athletics issue. But that was specifically in regards to Nassar, before this other information was revealed. It seems like everyone, from the managers to the coaches to the athletic director and all the way up to the president, consistently tried to sweep allegations under the rug. 16 MSU football players and a number of basketball players had accusations leveled at them. If those weren't handled properly, then that could be seen as a means of gaining a competitive advantage, by giving the athletes preferential (and even unlawful) treatment, and in that case, the NCAA should indeed have something to say about it.
And Emmert? The NCAA is just as complicit...programs left and right are hiding behind semantics to express why it's not a NCAA issue. Don't be deceived, that denial plays into the NCAA's hands as much as the institution that's under the microscope. And Jay Bilas...keep your trap shut. He's associated with a member institution...period.

These are disgusting times...in my view.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
[-] The following 3 users Like Salty's post:
  • Bugmantom, HughRichardCranium, Joe21
Having had 3 daughters the entire thought of sending our kids off to college to be mollested when they should be having one of the best experiences of their lives is despicable. The perpetrators should and hopefully will burn in hell!
[-] The following 2 users Like Bugmantom's post:
  • Joe21, Salty
(01-27-2018, 06:11 PM)Bugmantom Wrote: Having had 3 daughters the entire thought of sending our kids off to college to be mollested when they should be having one do the best experiences of their lives is despicable. The perpetrators should and hopefully will burn in hell!

As a rabbi once said, post-911, I don't have to wish ill upon anyone and that's fine.  However, nor am I obligated to forgive...I leave that to G-d...He's better suited to such.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
Sorry Salty I am a little jaded as my first wife was murdered by Gerald Stanno the same day I got out of the Air Force in 1975,. He was credited with the most murders of young women in US history, the numbers were somewhere between 50 and 75, and suggested as possibly many more. He was also the last pig to fry in the Florida electric chair, Old Sparky.
(01-27-2018, 10:12 PM)Bugmantom Wrote: Sorry Salty I am a little jaded as my first wife was murdered by Gerald Stanno the same day I got out of the Air Force in 1975,. He was credited with the most murders of young women in US history, the numbers were somewhere between 50 and 75, and suggested as possibly many more. He was also the last pig to fry in the Florida electric chair, Old Sparky.

I can't imagine!  That's simply dreadful!  
Izzo was grilled after the MSU game yesterday..he sounded old and was literally shaking...I'd be shocked if he's coaching next season......
The threshold question to me is what did people know? If people legitimately had no knowledge of what was going on, I don't see how it was their responsibility. If they had any real knowledge at all, then they are culpable if they did nothing.

But if Tom Izzo had zero knowledge - or even if he only had incidental "rumor" knowledge and he did the right thing then I don't see why he should be at risk for this.
(01-29-2018, 11:12 AM)HughRichardCranium Wrote: The threshold question to me is what did people know?  If people legitimately had no knowledge of what was going on, I don't see how it was their responsibility.  If they had any real knowledge at all, then they are culpable if they did nothing.

But if Tom Izzo had zero knowledge - or even if he only had incidental "rumor" knowledge and he did the right thing then I don't see why he should be at risk for this.

According to another report in The Athletic, alerting the proper authorities was futile, as NCAA president Mark Emmert was aware of 37 reports of sexual assault by Michigan State athletes back in 2010.

Lavigne also obtained previously unpublished reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo’s basketball team, including a former student-assistant coach who kept his post despite being criminally charged for punching a female Michigan State student in the face during an incident at a bar in 2010. Months later, Travis Walton, who has been put on administrative leave as a Clippers assistant coach in the NBA’s G-League, was accused of raping a different student.
It's amazing, no matter how fast and slick someone is, there comes a point when their past ALWAYS catches up with them. Without fail.
(01-29-2018, 11:18 AM)Marty Coleman Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 11:12 AM)HughRichardCranium Wrote: The threshold question to me is what did people know?  If people legitimately had no knowledge of what was going on, I don't see how it was their responsibility.  If they had any real knowledge at all, then they are culpable if they did nothing.

According to another report in The Athletic, alerting the proper authorities was futile, as NCAA president Mark Emmert was aware of 37 reports of sexual assault by Michigan State athletes back in 2010.

Lavigne also obtained previously unpublished reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo’s basketball team, including a former student-assistant coach who kept his post despite being criminally charged for punching a female Michigan State student in the face during an incident at a bar in 2010. Months later, Travis Walton, who has been put on administrative leave as a Clippers assistant coach in the NBA’s G-League, was accused of raping a different student.

Sorry, for some reason I thought this was related to Larry Nassar.  I've apparently been in a cave regarding Mich. St. athletics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HughRichardCranium's post:
  • Marty Coleman