Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic failure by US soccer
The worst possible outcome happened tonight. The US lost while Panama and Honduras won, all of which pushed US to fifth place in the group and knocked them out of World Cup qualifying. For the first time since 1986, the US will not play in the World Cup.

They needed nothing more than a tie against the worst team in the group, and couldn't manage it.
Pathetic. Start at the top...strip it down...start anew. Simply. No. Excuse.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
Couldn't a top college team beat Trinidad? What's the real problem with our national team?
(10-11-2017, 07:51 AM)TigerUSF Wrote: Couldn't a top college team beat Trinidad?   What's the real problem with our national team?

.......It's soccer

I think Coach Ibrahim put out some teams in the late 70's that would have played better than our national team.
There was zero cohesiveness within the team and, aside from inconsistency, no carry-over from one match to the next, save for generally under-whelming play.

The clamor to rid Klinnsman was overboard...but, that's American arrogance at its finest. There is much this country can speak to with absolute reverence and excellence, but when it comes to soccer, we are far from expert, yet have too many hands in the pot who feel they know what should be the 'American way'. The 'America Way' will come once its largely learned by other nations' successes and leadership. The soccer infrastructure as it exists today, is horribly broken. In general, 'helicopter parents with a checkbook' and coaches with an accent get the attention at the youth level. After that, it's a Keystone Cops routine.
Uncle Salty     "...while beggars can't be choosers, choosers rarely have to be beggars."
Firing one guy just so that you could hire a guy that you fired earlier made absolutely no sense to me. You can't put all of this on Bruce Arena, but that was a ridiculous move.

At least we found Darlington Nagbe and Christian Pulisic during this cycle. Those guys are actual world-class players. The rest of the team? Well...
People keep pointing to the lack of talent...but I think it's more of the lack of cohesion at issue. Our starting rotation has been a turnstile and the play suffered because of it. Guys playing out of position, or being inserted for the first time in international play.

The truth is, the warning signs were there long before anybody took action. At the point they took action with the Klinsmann/Arena switch it was desperation that forced the move.

This is going to sound crazy...but I think we should go out and get Iran's national coach. No joke.
There is no viable developmental pipeline from youth soccer on up to the National Team. The US model has been surviving of vapor, guile, and luck for years now. Gulati has to go...he's been worthless for a long time. Arena was in a no-win situation...and in many ways, the same could be said of Klinnsman. Too many soccer players exist because of their parent's bank accounts.
I read that T&T was actually fielding a team with few of their regular starting players, since they had nothing to play for in this game. So we lost to Trinidad and Tobago's B-team in a must-win game. That's just embarassing.

By the way, did you guys see this "goal" that leveled the game for Panama?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGaxkl46HI
Yeah...ghost goal. Although T&T's first goal looked like Gonzalez scored it. Hate to go down with an own goal.
Friend of the SUR Brandon Rink chimes in....

https://medium.com/@brandonrink/its-all-your-fault-u-s-soccer-now-get-better-656d9b1dfaf4
The more I think about this, the more I'm at a complete loss for any sort of explanation. I mean, we aren't exactly in the toughest region and we literally have way more resources then the next country (Mexico). There is no reason we should ever struggle to qualify.
Youth soccer is very fragmented...it's not on AAU basketball level, but there are plenty of similarities to the point that, if soccer was as big as basketball, the same issues would result. There needs to be youth development that is free and clear of daddy's ability to write a check. Yes, dad, pay for a trainer to teach your son, if that's what you want. But, your check won't get your son on any team.

To back up ever so briefly...ask this question: Why are the US women and it's developmental program successful? There most certainly should be some parallels...aside from the fact international soccer took root in most of the world at the same time. I'd hate to think that was it, since it certainly points to resources in the successful nations, but...is it really as simple as that?
Well in women's soccer our resources and professional league are actually decades ahead of the rest of the world. Many countries have zero organized leagues at all for women.

But with that aside...

I am still asking questions. For instance, all we needed was 0-0 tie. Why not park the bus at the back end and line up 11 dudes in the back and run the 90 minutes to zero. Especially with our defensive struggles this season. Play 7 back and 3 midfielders...get a result that isn't sexy, but effective. Why is Altidore out there instead of Dempsey if you are trying for an offensive result? I like Altidore's athleticism...but seriously...he cannot play with ball anywhere near the quality of a guy like Dempsey.

Do anything but embarrass yourselves.
I will actually enjoy the tournament a lot more next year because I can go to a bar without USA superfans crawling all over the place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tripp's post:
  • Salty
(10-12-2017, 08:03 PM)tripp Wrote: I will actually enjoy the tournament a lot more next year because I can go to a bar without USA superfans crawling all over the place.

Tripp, with the silver lining!  Well done!   clap
It is soccer......what should we expect?

We had some great players at Clemson under Coach Ibrahim, a number of Nigerian players Benny Popolla, Christian N...., and some very good players from South and Central America. It is about the only time that soccer has been fun to watch for me, and only when live and at the game. It is too boring in most games I've watched on TV. JMO