Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 MLB First Year Player Draft
Draftees have until July 15th to sign a pro contract.

Barnes, Pinder and Campbell have all announced their intentions to sign.  Based on the tweet above (from Clemson Sports Talk), Eubanks and Rohlman are leaning towards signing - both of them had told their teammates they were leaving prior to the draft. Brad Senkiw has confirmed Eubanks' signing - stating that he will sign with the Rangers, and head to Arizona on Monday.

Rumors are beginning to spread that Chris Williams is talking about returning - which would be a massive lift to next year's team.

No word on Beasley or Miller - my gut feel is that Beasley signs, while the Braves will play the waiting game with Miller to see how he has responded from injury / get a full medical report.

With the signees, Sam Keating has already agreed to terms with the Padres, and is for all intents and purposes gone.  He has not officially signed (I haven't found an announcement of the contract).

Kier Meredith told TCI that he's struggling with what to do.  It feels like an interview that caught Meredith in the midst of coming to grips with a new reality - one that was starkly different from what his advisers had painted for him.  He doesn't state what his asking price is, but based on that interview, we'll be sweating the Cubs signings through the first 10 picks - any prospect that chooses not to sign (and as such, the Cubs lose the slot value to the bonus pool), or holds them to the fire for slot goes in our favor.

Sam Weatherly told his hometown newspaper that he's coming to Clemson.  Weatherly stated that the Blue Jays reached out to him early on Day 2, stating that he would be their 4th, 5th or 6th round selection, but Toronto did not meet his signing bonus demands.  Weatherly was 6-2 this season with a 0.83 ERA, striking out 78 in 50⅓ innings.
Thanks Huck!

Also, on a side note - impressed with correct usage of "intents and purposes". I saw two, separate and well-reputed attorneys write "intense purposes" on Court filings this week and could only shake my head. I'm sure the paralegal wrote it...but still...
Saw on Facebook that Rohlman had already signed.
Does anyone know the story on Blake Holliday? I was told he is done with baseball.
David Hood of TigerNet is / was live blogging Monte Lee's end of year press conference. Some highlights:

1) Chris Williams is definitely coming back. His injury is a glenial ligament tear (referenced above) - after surgery, there is a 6 month recovery period (to return to 100%), and as such, he'll miss part of the Spring. Lee anticipates Williams taking over for Cox at 1B, allowing Wilkie to assume the role at Catcher.

2) Ryan Miller is expected to return. He was shut down in-season (after the GaTech series) to relieve inflammation - Miller has had Tommy John surgery. He's already playing catch and is anticipated to return. As with every reliever that saw heavy action this season (Crawford, Hennessey, Gilliam, etc.), Miller will be placed on a starter's workout program for a fall audition.

3) Rohlman was viewed as a senior by most scouts, which affected his draft status. He is expected to sign.

4) Echoing the reports of today, Eubanks will sign with the Rangers, for "a good bit of money."

5) Lee notes that Beasley is also expected to sign.

6) Higginbotham's injury was a lat tear. He is supposedly now 100% and will be in the hopper for starter.

7) Beer is projected as a corner outfielder at the next level, and as such, the experiment at 1B is essentially over.

8) On the signing class: Despite the Meredith's interview, Lee notes that all 3 of the remaining drafted signees are anticipated to make it to campus. Meredith possesses game changing speed (2/3rds of the Earth is covered by water, the rest is covered by Meredith), and he is expected to provide immediate competition in CF. Elijah Henderson was described as a Taylor Harbin type. Weatherly was noted as a possible candidate at 1B, in addition to pitching. Strider was noted as touching 96/97 in the Spring.
[-] The following 3 users Like Huckittome's post:
  • crope1, HughRichardCranium, Marty Coleman
(06-16-2017, 01:44 PM)Huckittome Wrote: David Hood of TigerNet is / was live blogging the end of year press conference. Some highlights:

1) Chris Williams is definitely coming back. His injury is a glenial ligament tear (referenced above) - after surgery, there is a 6 month recovery period (to return to 100%), and as such, he'll miss part of the Spring. Lee anticipates Williams taking over for Cox at 1B, allowing Wilkie to assume the role at Catcher.

2) Ryan Miller is expected to return. He was shut down in-season (after the GaTech series) to relieve inflammation - Miller has had Tommy John surgery. He's already playing catch and is anticipated to return. As with every reliever that saw heavy action this season (Crawford, Hennessey, Gilliam, etc.), Miller will be placed on a starter's workout program for a fall audition.

3) Rohlman was viewed as a senior by most scouts, which affected his draft status. He is expected to sign.

4) Echoing the reports of today, Eubanks will sign with the Rangers, for "a good bit of money."

5) Lee notes that Beasley is also expected to sign.

6) Higginbotham's injury was a lat tear. He is supposedly now 100% and will be in the hopper for starter.

7) Beer is projected as a corner outfielder at the next level, and as such, the experiment at 1B is essentially over.

8) On the signing class: Despite the Meredith's interview, Lee notes that all 3 of the remaining drafted signees are anticipated to make it to campus. Meredith possesses game changing speed (2/3rds of the Earth is covered by water, the rest is covered by Meredith), and he is expected to provide immediate competition in CF. Elijah Henderson was described as a Taylor Harbin type. Weatherly was noted as a possible candidate at 1B, in addition to pitching. Strider was noted as touching 96/97 in the Spring.

Huck, a couple of questions about the interview
1. did he reference what the freshman pitchers roles may be? I assume that Strider and Weatherly might be given a chance to be a starter, but assume the others will begin in the bullpen
2. Was Davis Agle or Justin Hawkins mentioned at all?
I was reading the live blog off my iPhone, so I haven't watched the video - there's nothing in the blog about Agle or Hawkins.

Lee referenced that we were losing over 400 innings from starting pitching, and as such, just about everyone was going to be put on a starter's program. Strider was noted specifically as having a chance to compete.

Hood speculated the following: "Sounds like Higgy and Owen Griffith and Weatherly and Strider might get first cracks at starting. Brooks Crawford will also get a very long look as a starter, as well as Jacob Hennessy and Ryan Miller. Maybe even Gilliam."
(06-16-2017, 02:00 PM)Huckittome Wrote: I was reading the live blog off my iPhone, so I haven't watched the video - there's nothing in the blog about Agle or Hawkins.

Lee referenced that we were losing over 400 innings from starting pitching, and as such, just about everyone was going to be put on a starter's program.  Strider was noted specifically as having a chance to compete.

Hood speculated the following: "Sounds like Higgy and Owen Griffith and Weatherly and Strider might get first cracks at starting.  Brooks Crawford will also get a very long look as a starter, as well as Jacob Hennessy and Ryan Miller. Maybe even Gilliam."

Found the blog. I never venture to TNET much, so it took my a minute to find it.

I think the Williams move has a lot to do with the lack of proven options in the outfield, as well as Wilkie's improvement at the end of the year. I think going into the season, you know these guys will play the majority of the time.

Williams - first
Beer - OF or DH
Davidson - SS

I do not know much about the young guys, but I am sure they will get chances to win the 3rd or 2nd base spots, where competition is needed to make everyone better. I have no idea how the Of will shake up. I have heard great things about Meredith's defense and speed, but I have also heard he struggles some hitting. I think (reading the athletic, create runs comment) that Monte may give the younger, more athletic guys a chance to go out there and win a spot.

Yes, Alex is a RHP. No, I don't care about the mistake.

And David Hood finally posted his article relating to the 2018 pitching staff, built from quotes from Monte Lee's end-of-season press conference:

http://www.tigernet.com/story/baseball/Lee-looks-to-rebuild-Clemsons-pitching-staff-in-the-fall-15954