Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 MLB First Year Player Draft
This is more of a placeholder...

Recruiting Class
RHP Sam Keating (#117 in the Baseball America Hot 500; Fort Meyers, FL)
RHP Spencer Strider (#140 ; Knoxville, TN)
OF Kier Meredith (#216; Winston-Salem, NC)
LHP Sam Weatherly (#351; Howell, MI)

Current Team
LHP Charlie Barnes (#109)
C Chris Williams (#119)
CF Chase Pinder (#280)
RHP Alex Eubanks (#383)

No other players are ranked by Baseball America.

Eligibility Expiration / Graduation
Pat Krall
Tyler Jackson
Patrick Andrews
Weston Jackson
Andrew Cox

Draft Eligible Underclassmen, Unranked by Baseball America
Reed Rohlman
Robert Jolly
Grayson Byrd
KJ Bryant
Drew Wharton
Adam Renwick
Patrick Cromwell
Jeremy Beasley
Ryan Miller
Alex Schnell
Paul Campbell
Sticking thread to top.
(06-07-2017, 10:17 AM)Huckittome Wrote: Draft Eligible Underclassmen, Unranked by Baseball America
Reed Rohlman
Robert Jolly
Grayson Byrd
KJ Bryant
Drew Wharton
Adam Renwick
Patrick Cromwell
Jeremy Beasley
Ryan Miller
Alex Schnell
Paul Campbell

I would not be shocked if a couple of these names ended up transferring due to their lack of playing time.
(06-07-2017, 11:26 AM)crope1 Wrote: I would not be shocked if a couple of these names ended up transferring due to their lack of playing time.

While I wouldn't be shocked if some of those players listed didn't return, even if undrafted, transferring isn't really an option for most of them.

Under the revised scholarship rules from 2011, the tradeoff for each scholarship player receiving a minimum of one-third of a scholarship was that any transfer would be subject to the normal NLOI rules - players must sit out a minimum of 1 year of competition (subject to conference rules), unless the prospect is a graduate student seeking a degree program in a field of study not offered at his undergraduate institution.

However, as baseball is a sport with an extensive summer league program (limiting the opportunities to accelerate progress towards graduation), graduate transfers are generally limited to prospects that redshirted (either for injury or maturation), but stayed with their undergraduate institution for 4 years - for example: Reed Rohlman in this year's class of draft eligible underclassmen (who graduated in May), KJ Bryant in next year's class.

As such, if you are thinking about a transfer, you are going to have to go the traditional route. As such, your window is essentially the end of the Spring of your Freshman season to the end of the Spring of your Sophomore season - after the Fall semester of the prospect's Sophomore year, JuCo is no longer an option. After that window, you will essentially be giving up two (2) draft cycles, as well as your only remaining signing leverage for minor league negotiations - the ability to go back to school - all but eliminating any potential signing bonus (regardless of any bump in performance).

I thought both Adam Renwick and Drew Wharton were transfer candidates after last season - both would have benefitted substantially from a drop in level of competition. But now, they are stuck in no-man's-land.
A local interest story from Sam Keating's local NBC affiliate (linked below) notes that he was in Chicago this week to workout with / for the White Sox - the story states that he has also had workouts with the Angels and Padres.

The article also notes that "some" are predicting him to be selected as high as the second round - no indication has been given as to who the "some" are.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35615921/canterbury-grad-eyed-as-mlb-draft-pick

Spencer Strider was named the 2016-17 Gatorade Tennessee's Baseball Player of the Year, as well as the TCBA Class AA Mr. Baseball. The Clemson signee posted a 13-0 record this season with 150 strikeouts (13.9 strikeouts per seven innings), holding opposing hitters to a .118 batting average.

In the Tennessee Class AA state tournament, the 6-foot, 185-pound right-hander allowed three runs on eight hits over 11 innings while striking out 16. That included seven strong innings in the title game in which he rebounded from surrendering two early runs to help the Warriors win their first state championship since 2014.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/05/31/cak-pitcher-spencer-strider-named-tennessee-gatorade-player-year/356968001/

The Knoxville News Sentinel has a profile of Spenser Strider in their recent archives.

Knoxville News Sentinel Wrote:Strider possesses a mid-90s fastball that tops out at 97 miles per hour and mixes that with a slider and changeup to create the dominance he has thrown with this season. In eight appearances — seven starts [through April 25th]— he is 7-0 with a 0.795 ERA, allowing just 14 hits, 11 walks and five earned runs over 44 innings while striking out 93 batters. ...

“I don’t know (how good he can be), but I know that he has jumped every year,” [CAK Head Coach Tommy] Pharr said. “His velocity has jumped and he’s gotten better every year for the four years he’s been here, so I have no reason to doubt that he can get a little bit better.”

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/04/25/caks-spencer-strider-living-up-hype/100825752/
Power arm Smile
So far, so good. No one was selected on Day 1 of the draft, which means there weren't any surprises. Today is the day of truth... Round 3 starts at 1PM.
There goes Barnes....

4th round, #106, Twins

Keating goes off the board 2 picks later at 108.

Barnes was the first pick of Round 4. The approximate value of the draft slot is $507M

Keating, taken 2 picks later, has a slot value of $497M.
(06-13-2017, 01:02 PM)Huckittome Wrote: Barnes was the first pick of Round 4. The approximate value of the draft slot is $507M

Keating, taken 2 picks later, has a slot value of $497M.

507M?
I think he meant 504K lol. If 504M was the slot, then nobody would go to college.

Waiting to see where Meredith goes.
Thousands are M, millions are MM... I'm a banker, no one uses K in financial services.
LOL...I knew you knew what you were talking about, but I wasn't sure what you were talking about...
(06-13-2017, 01:43 PM)Huckittome Wrote: Thousands are M, millions are MM... I'm a banker, no one uses K in financial services.

Not true.  In accounting we used K for thousands and M for Millions.
(06-13-2017, 01:02 PM)Huckittome Wrote: Keating, taken 2 picks later, has a slot value of $497M.

David Hood posted on TigerNet (the message boards) that Keating's family had set the asking price at $1.400MM, prior to the start of the draft - if the Keatings stick to that price, San Diego will have to come up with $903M difference out of the draft pool.

The Padres took a HS LHP (MacKenzie Gore, an East Carolina signee) with the third pick of the first round (approximately $6.7MM slot value) and a HS C (Luis Campusano, a South Carolina signee) with their 2nd Round pick ($1.8MM slot value).  On the good side, with both players being high schoolers, you have the most negotiating leverage available from the prospect's position.  On the negative, Gore's lower level college destination may indicate a willingness to play ball - as he rose to prominence over the last year, instead of being anointed a first round pick early in the process.  Furthermore, with Holbrook out at South Carolina, Campusano might not require full slot value - the coaching situation makes his status much more fluid.

I'm hoping San Diego overplayed their hand, but I'm not optimistic.

And as an aside, we are approaching the end of the 7th round. The slot value of the last pick in the 7th round is $175M - just $75M more than the maximum signing bonus for any player signed after the 10th Round, without counting towards the bonus pool. While $75M will wipe out quite a large amount of college debt, it isn't anything close to life changing. All of which is to say, I think we are close to out of the woods with the signing class.
Chase Pinder was just selected... 7th Round, Pick 214 ($190.7M slot value)

So, you're now below the $200,000 range...I think I would opt for college (depending on situation) if I was a HS kid....
(06-13-2017, 03:37 PM)Marty Coleman Wrote: So, you're now below the $200,000 range...I think I would opt for college (depending on situation) if I was a HS kid....

I'd say from here on out, if you are still willing to sign as a high school prospect, you were going to sign regardless of the offered amount - there's so little difference between a 8th rounder and anything beyond 10th round.

I also like our chances with Eubanks - being a redshirt sophomore, he doesn't lose a significant amount of leverage by coming back, and the payoff can be significant.