Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Holbrook resigning at scar
Are there any recruits we can steal?
Per Perfect Game, they have 19 committed players for the 2017 class - headlined by C Luis Campusano (#42 in the latest compilation of Baseball America's Hot 500; Augusta, GA), SS Noah Campbell (#112; Raleigh, NC), OF Kyle Jacobsen (#155; Acworth, GA), RHP Carmen Mlodzinski (#173; Hilton Head, SC), RHP Logan Chapman (#202; Easley, SC), and OF Ian Jenkins (#419; Suwanee, GA)

However, given the rather ruthless manner in which Tanner ran the baseball program during his tenure as head coach, I don't expect any of their players to be granted a release until after the new head coach is in place.

Also, it won't shock me if Holbrook goes back to North Carolina as an assistant head coach / recruiting coordinator - assuming Mike Fox isn't one of the coaches that ultimately pays the price for the academic scandal (his program was actually named in the initial NOA). But regardless of whether or not Holbrook ends up at North Carolina, his ultimate destination could / would be a factor in the destination of those recruits.

With the MLB First Year Draft starting on Monday, it will be more interesting to see if the coaching change alleviates some of the signability concerns of their recruiting class.
Somebody asked me of I thought Montee Lee would get in touch with his former colleague. I laughed and said I know more about the current Emperor of Japan. I wasn't even sure that Montee Lee worked with Holbrook at S.Car.
(06-07-2017, 10:00 AM)HughRichardCranium Wrote: Somebody asked me of I thought Montee Lee would get in touch with his former colleague.  I laughed and said I know more about the current Emperor of Japan.  I wasn't even sure that Montee Lee worked with Holbrook at S.Car.

Holbrook's first season as an assistant at South Carolina was 2009 - Monte Lee's first year as head coach at College of Charleston.

College baseball teams are still only allowed 2 paid assistants.  As Holbrook isn't a pitching coach, Bradley LeCroy would have to move on - and Greg Starbuck would have to be passed over, after spending at least 2 seasons as a volunteer assistant coach (after 15 as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at Elon).  I can't see that happening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Huckittome's post:
  • HughRichardCranium
I like the composition of our coaching staff as is...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marty Coleman's post:
  • HughRichardCranium