Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leon O'Neal-S (2018 Texas A&M Commit)
247 Bio
Rivals Bio
Highlights

Clemson has extended an offer to this rangy 4-star safety out of Texas.
Our prosperity must have extended our recruiting territory further west, amazing what success brings
O'Neal will be making the long trip to Clemson for the spring game this weekend.
We will need to establish a satellite campus in Texas. clap
Looks like O'Neal survived the long trip and is on campus
Weren't people saying a few years back that our staff was stupid for wasting time offering guys out of Texas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes clemson2002's post:
  • HughRichardCranium
Committed to Texas A&M
(04-08-2017, 12:15 PM)clemson2002 Wrote: Weren't people saying a few years back that our staff was stupid for wasting time offering guys out of Texas?

I would never call our staff "stupid" but our track record in Texas continues to be horrendous.
(06-13-2017, 07:37 AM)TigerAtlGA Wrote:
(04-08-2017, 12:15 PM)clemson2002 Wrote: Weren't people saying a few years back that our staff was stupid for wasting time offering guys out of Texas?

I would never call our staff "stupid" but our track record in Texas continues to be horrendous.

That doesn't mean you don't make offers.  
Very few, if any, recruits commit without an offer. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe21's post:
  • HughRichardCranium
(06-13-2017, 10:50 AM)HughRichardCranium Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 07:37 AM)TigerAtlGA Wrote:

That doesn't mean you don't make offers.  

Allocating resources that aren't unlimited on highly ranked recruits that are very unlikely to commit is a high risk/high reward strategy that hasn't paid off in Texas whatsoever that I'm aware of.  I'm certain our staff didn't simply extend an offer and invite them for a visit. It is impossible to know but the time MAY have been better spent on courting athlete(s) living in areas where Clemson has had more recent recruiting success.  I'm extremely happy about the recent success and I wasn't one "those people saying" but calling them out over 2 potential signees that ended up signing with Texas and Texas A&M might have been just a tad premature.
How many thought Clemson would snag Hunter Johnson out of Indiana? Or Christian Wilkins from Connecticut? What about Travis Etienne out of Louisiana?

You never know unless you try.
(06-13-2017, 11:18 AM)Joe21 Wrote: Very few, if any, recruits commit without an offer.  Big Grin

This needs to be said, several times.  People don't seem to get it.
1. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state
2. (this one didn't commit, but enjoyed the ride) https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/25/unique-brissett-fake-recruit-hoax
We basically have a zero chance of landing a top recruit out of Texas without a prior relationship of some sort. We can pat ourselves on the back all we want about our expanded footprint but the results don't merit celebration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ken's post:
  • TigerAtlGA
If there is one area that our staff deserves some latitude it's definitely recruiting. Not going to criticize them for trying something new - even if it fails it will be a learning experience.

Has USC had any success in Texas now that A&M is in the SEC? A whole lot has been made of the boon for Texas recruiting that the SEC has gotten recently.
On our roster right now, here are the guys from outside our "recruiting area":

JC Chalk - Argyle, TX
Shaq Smith - Baltimore, MD
Hall Morton - Birmingham, AL (Safety - not sure he has a scholarship)
Pat Godfrey - Greenlawn, NY (OL - not sure he has a scholarship)
Scott Pagano - Honolulu, HI (I know he transferred)
Justin Falcinelli - Middletown, MD
Isiah Simmons - Olanthe, KS
Dorian O'Daniel - Olney, MD
Brian Dawkins, Jr. - Parker, CO
Patrick Phibbs - Pittsburgh, PA (Long snapper - not sure he has a scholarship)
Clelin Ferrell - Richmond, VA
Kayvon Wallace - Richmond, VA
Christian Wilkins - Springfield, MA
Chad Smith - Sterling, VA
Seth Ryan - Summit, NJ
Nolan Turner - Vestavia Hills, AL
Connor Sekas - Vienna, VA (LB - not sure he has a scholarship)
Xavier Kelley - Wichita, KS

I count 10 players from outside our "recruiting area" that will be starters, or on the two-deep. If Pagano doesn't transfer, there would be 11. If you count Seth Ryan at holder, 12. This doesn't count the incoming recruiting class (with Higgins, Etienne, H.Johnson, Rodgers, etc.)

If we don't go into those areas and make offers to those kids, none of them come here. Some of those guys - like Wilkins - are team anchors and leaders.

The fact of the matter is this: if you want to win championships, you go where the talent is, and you make offers and recruit. Otherwise, stay home and build your roster on the talent in SC, and along the I-85 Corridor from Atlanta to Charlotte and see where it gets you. Ken, that is the essence of what you are suggesting - don't ever expand to get talent. If you keep that mindset, though, you better be right about every player, and never lose a recruiting battle.

edit: I only singled out Ken because of the post here. Truthfully, I see that sentiment from a lot of other posters on a lot of sites and really it has nothing to do with you specifically.
[-] The following 2 users Like HughRichardCranium's post:
  • Huckittome, Joe21
(06-13-2017, 08:59 PM)Ken Wrote: We basically have a zero chance of landing a top recruit out of Texas without a prior relationship of some sort.  We can pat ourselves on the back all we want about our expanded footprint but the results don't merit celebration.

Perhaps that's the entire point of making Clemson's presence more known in Texas...to establish those kinds of relationships. At first I was of the same opinion as you, but Clemson's added emphasis in the Lonestar State coupled with their rise to national prominence has me convinced it will eventually pay off. The Tigers will never pull multiple prospects out of Texas, but if it helps them snag one Anthony Cook type talent then the minimal effort would have been well worth it.
We started spot recruiting in Texas before Dabo assumed the role of head coach - mainly offers to wideouts and defensive backs.

Once Dabo assumed the role of head coach (and especially after the 2010 purge), we had multiple staff members (including two coordinators) with extensive relationships in that region - including two former Texas high school coaches.

We now have two alumni in starring / marquee roles for a Texas-based NFL franchise, along with a host of second tier NFL guys playing in the state.

Relationships don't materialize out of thin air - they are built over time, and often through failure.

Also, it's not like we are handing out 400 offers. We have one of the smallest offer pools of any college team in the country - in stark contrast to having one of the largest contingents of support staff. Furthermore, Dabo has stated repeatedly that we will not invest a lot of resources into a prospect from outside the traditional footprint unless they are or have been willing to make an unofficial visit to campus - see any of a hundred articles discussing the recruitment of Hunter Johnson. Within those parameters, I think a few exploratory offers are well within the scope of work.
[-] The following 4 users Like Huckittome's post:
  • Geechiboi843, HughRichardCranium, JGiles, Marty Coleman