Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so it begins...... (Lane Kiffin Edition)
QB De'Andre Johnson, dismissed by FSU for punching woman, signs with FAU
I actually didn't have any problems with this incident. And more to the point, I actually think the only reason that it became a news story was the fact that Lane Kiffin was introduced as FAU's head coach.

De'Andre Johnson was caught on camera violently slapping (he struck her with an open hand) a woman that struck him. He was immediately released from Florida State and had to enter anger management courses before he would be admitted to the JuCo that he attended. He has continued to serve in an educational role - as he will speak to two (2) different all-star games as to why what he did was wrong and what the incident has cost him. Furthermore, his JuCo coach (Clint Trickett, former FSU / WVU quarterback and son of the FSU OL coach) is the brother of the coach that recruited him to FAU (Travis Trickett) - a coach that wasn't retained by Lane Kiffin.

Johnson isn't going right back to the Power Five level - like Joe Mixon, Devonte Fields or Jeffrey Simmons. He's dropped from one of the nation's premier programs to a Mississippi JuCo outpost, to now one of the worst programs in the entire FBS. He's paying the price.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Huckittome's post:
  • Salty
I don't really have a problem with him going to FAU, or getting a second chance. I am a believer in people getting second chances if they have really changed & learned from the behaviors, etc., etc.

To me, what this shows is that Lane Kiffin is going to be one of those coaches that takes chances on questionable characters in order to win football games. There's plenty of them out there. He's another Hugh Freeze, basically.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HughRichardCranium's post:
  • Marty Coleman
Yep. Not a shot at the kid, just a sign of the future of FAU....
But that's just it - I don't know if you can say that.

It isn't like Kiffin changed course, and actively chased this kid. He was already committed, he had been actively pursued by the previous staff - with whom the prospect had a familial relationship, through Florida State and Junior College. Kiffin didn't retain the position coach that pursued him, and because he was a JuCo prospect and signing day was this week, he had less than a week to vet him - all while doing the playoff dance and rubber chicken circuit that comes with being announced as the new head coach.

I don't think it's that cut and dried.
(12-16-2016, 01:11 PM)Huckittome Wrote: But that's just it - I don't know if you can say that.  

It isn't like Kiffin changed course, and actively chased this kid.  He was already committed, he had been actively pursued by the previous staff - with whom the prospect had a familial relationship, through Florida State and Junior College.  Kiffin didn't retain the position coach that pursued him, and because he was a JuCo prospect and signing day was this week, he had less than a week to vet him - all while doing the playoff dance and rubber chicken circuit that comes with being announced as the new head coach.

I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Fair enough. 

We'll see if its an anomaly or precursor.  
Louisville South.
He's already put them on the map.

People will now watch FAU games hoping he gets poleaxed.

Don't underestimate the value of a good villain.
(12-16-2016, 08:38 PM)fhellandjr Wrote: He's already put them on the map.

People will now watch FAU games hoping he gets poleaxed.

Don't underestimate the value of a good villain.

Is this the 'voice of experience' speaking?   popcorn
Quite the opposite.  People love me.

Winning.
[-] The following 2 users Like fhellandjr's post:
  • Bugmantom, Salty
Now you can say that Kiffin is going to run his program with no regards to moral compass. By the way, Briles was implicated in a number of recruiting violations while at Baylor, for disregarding contact periods (aka violating the bump rule) - the same violations that were at the heart of Gaffney-Gate, under Bowden.

Lane Kiffin hiring offensive coordinator Kendal Briles away from Baylor

FOX Sports    
Dec 23, 2016 at 8:38p ET  

Lane Kiffin has hired another famous second generation coach to his new FAU staff, telling FOX Sports Friday that he has hired former Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles as his new offensive coordinator.

“Home run,” Kiffin texted, confirming the hire. Briles, the son of former Baylor head coach Art Briles, has led some of the most prolific offenses in college football in recent years. Briles will join a Kiffin staff that also includes Lane’s younger brother Chris Kiffin, the new defensive coordinator and Alabama staffer Charlie Weis. Jr, the son of the former Notre Dame head coach.

Last week, the Owls signed their likely starting QB for 2017 in junior college transfer De’Andre Johnson, a former Mr. Florida who started his career at FSU before being kicked out after he was caught on video punching a woman at a bar. In 11 games with East Mississippi Community College, Johnson threw for 2,646 yards and 26 touchdowns with six interceptions.
The part that story left out is Kendall Briles had NCAA violations at Baylor.  Apparently they were reprimanded and Baylor fined, but that's it.

According to the NCAA release, Briles and Wallis tried to find loophole in the rules that allowed them to see more prospects in the spring. This involved attending a recruit's track meet and turning their backs when the recruit competed so it did not count as an official evaluation.

Doesn't sound too serious, but also sounds intentional.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/baylor/2017/01/27/new-baylor-lawsuit-describes-show-em-good-time-culture-cites-52-rapes-football-players-4-years

Former assistant coach Kendal Briles once told a Dallas area student athlete, "Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players," according to the suit. 
Between the events at Baylor and the coaching staff at FAU we have two excellent plots for blockbuster movies. 2thumbsup
Lane would NEVER do something like this....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18977094/former-university-alabama-receiver-suing-florida-atlantic-alleging-fraud